Friday, May 10, 2013

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

This is something that I have been making for more years than I care to admit.  It really is a easy recipe to make it just takes time to simmer.  I swear anyone can make the tastiest Italian Spaghetti Sauce to use for a number of recipes.

I like everyone have picked up the bottled stuff here and there to make a "Quick" dish  when in a pinch.  I have learned to keep some in the freezer.  Nothing from a jar will ever taste like homemade sauce.  It almost tastes better the second time around so another wonderful reason to make a big batch.

This recipe does make a big batch.  When I made it today I made 2 different meals and then froze the rest.  At WalMart you can get plastic containers that are approved for frozen foods.  This is what I always use.  When I need Spaghetti Sauce I just take it out of the freezer and place in the sink to thaw.

Be aware this is just for the sauce.

Recipe
1 large Onion Chopped
2 Tablespoons Minced Garlic
4 Cans Tomato Sauce no salt added if you can find
4 Cans Diced Tomatoes (Basil, Garlic, Oregano) no salt added
3 Cans Tomato Paste no salt added if you can find
4 Tablespoons Mrs. Dash, Tomato, Basil, Garlic
2 Tablespoons Italian Seasoning
4 Tablespoons Dry Basil
1/2 Teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
4 packs Truvia
Spray Oil

 Directions
1.  Spray Large pot with spray oil.  Over medium low heat add onion and cook until tender.
2.  Add garlic and cook no more than 1 minute longer.
3   Add all additional ingredients.
4.  Stir wellOnce sauce comes to a slight simmer turn heat down to low and simmer for at least 4 hours.  The longer you simmer sauce the more the ingredients meld together.     

 I forgot a few things in this picture but this is close.

 Chopped Onion
  Everything put in pot.  Start of cooking time.
This is what it looks like after hours of simmering.

You see in these last few photos how the sauce deepens in color.  It was so good.  Like I said we put some in the freezer for future meals.  

I told you this was easy!  Take the time to simmer it for hours.  It is so worth it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment