Saturday, May 11, 2013

Bread Machine Soft Pretzel Bites

I have to say this is one of the first recipes ever that I fell in LOVE with for my bread machine.   Years ago I purchased this lovely little book.  I was not sure it could be found anywhere any more but here it is.


Mine has seen better days.  I have had this book for years and years.  I continue to go back to it.

Usually I only do Soft Pretzels on Christmas but on Pinterest I saw where someone made pretzel bits.  I knew my recipe had to come out for a side roll for a dinner.  They were WONDERFUL!  I only had a few (well maybe 3) so I think it was allot less than if I would have had a whole pretzel.  I will still be making these on Christmas Eve.

Place all ingredents into bread machine in order of recipe.

Dough
1 1/8 Cup Hot Water
2 teaspoons Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Salt
3 Cups Better for Bread Flour   

Also needed
2 Quarts Water add 2 tablespoons baking soda
1 Egg beaten for top of bites  
Sea Salt

1.  As stated above, place all ingredients into bread machine as listed.   Place Bread Machine on Dough Cycle and allow to start and continue through cycle.
2.  Once done punch down dough.  Spray oil lightly on surface you will be placing dough.  Grab a handfull of dough and roll out into a log type roll.  Cut into bite size pieces.  Cover and allow to rise for at least 30 minutes.
3  Place water in a pot that is not aluminumAdd baking soda to water and allow to boil. 
4.  Once bites have risen for at least 30 minutes drop into boiling water cooking on each side for 30 seconds.  Take slotted spoon and remove to paper towels to drain.  Once drained remove to a foil lined cookie sheet.  Continue until all bites are cooked in water/baking soda combination.   
5,  Brush bites with your beaten egg and sprinkle with sea salt. 
6  Bake in a 450 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve warm

So I have made this recipe 3 dozen times or more over the years.  I have found out that they do not keep well at all.  No matter what I did they always were crazy good fresh.  Not so much the day after.

You just have to try them though.  Do know that you can do this recipe and shape into a pretzel.  That is what I do usually.   


                        Roll Out Into A Log Type Of Shape

               Cut Into Bite Size Pieces As Shown.  Not Too Small.

                                      Allow to Rise Again

          Place Into Water Mixture, They Will Puff Up In This Step

 Place Again On Cookie Sheet, Brush With Egg And Sprinkle Sea Salt Over Top
Oh My Goodness....So Good.... Best I Have Ever Eaten....

Adapted From The Bread machine Cookbook VI

2 comments:

  1. Do you use yeast in this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh I can not believe that I left that out :-(
    1 1/2 tsp rapid or quick yeast.
    I think I am going to make these for Christmas Eve. :-)

    ReplyDelete