Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Teen Video Play Room

I am sure that I am not aloneI just had to find something amazing to do with this room!

   We have a 14 year old that LOVES his video games.  When we moved we knew that we wanted  him to have his own room that he could have friends over and play for hours on end like they do.  For years he only had his bedroom for this and that got small and old fast.  We then gave up the home office room in our old house (we no longer used it) but we could never give it that "Teen" look.  We were planning on moving so we had to keep things neutral.  

Once we moved we gave him certain rooms.  Of course we could not change things right away, but I kept looking for inspiration. I knew the second I found the right thing I would hit it hard. 

 Houzz is my favorite place to look for ideas so I started there.   This was the only room up stairs that had some color.  Yucky color!
 We did move him in and made it his "Video Game" Room.  I kept searching for something really "Cool" to do and I found it.....
Here.  This was my Inspiration.
http://www.houzz.com/projects/10062/San-Clemente-Teen-Bedroom  
This is what we came up with for this room from  the inspiration of the above  link.  We could not find the exact things she used but  I think we did pretty well with what we had at our local  stores.  I tell you I am so happy with the way it came out.  It took a long time and allot of modifcation to get the look but it worked.  All his friends LOVE it!  I think it will be fine even when he is older.

Here we go.....Before...
And After The Futon Wall.



We did get this futon pretty quick so when our teen had a sleep over they had a place to stay.  Once we renovated the room we had to get a futon cover in black to fit over the mattress

I had to make the accent pillows because I could find them NO Where in Red!
 


 We had old office furniture in here, although really nice stuff it was not going to work in this new room so it was taken out. 
We ended up mounting the tv to the wall with a rotating mount.  and put up glass shelves from Lowe's.  You are seeing corner floating shelves and 4 straight floating ones 2 on each side.  We ended up making a wooden L shape box for the bottom and covering it with a silver leaf coating.  We then put a protective coat over it.  This covers all the cords and surge protectors on the floor.  
These are plastic wire covers that we painted with Matrha Stewart's Silver paint.  All the wires from everything are hidden in these up the walls.  Even the cable wire is hidden.
Closet window before photo.

 After photo with a new pop corn maker.

Wall with main door and closet door.  This is a small wall but we made it look amazing.
It took awhile to find just the right things to place on the wall but I think it works.   Hubby made the shelves and we painted them gloss black.  WE should have put an acrylic coat on them.  If you ever do something like that put that final coat on them so things will not stick.
In the original  photo it looks like  she does a whole sheet  of aluminum on the walls.   I did allot of research and found a place here that could get it but it was $159.00 per sheet, 5 sheet minimum.  I knew that was not going to happen.  We found  this at Lowe's.  It is an aluminum sheet.  I love that the holes show the red that was painted under it. (THE PHOTOS SHOW MORE RED THEN YOU CAN SEE IN REAL, I THINK IT IS BECAUSE OF THE FLASH I HAD TO USE)  So we painted the bottom part red, middle strip black, top strip white.  The bottom was covered with the aluminumWe had to spray it down with adhesive  spray.  As you see between the aluminum and black strip it needed a piece  of molding.  We painted it with Martha Stewart's Silver special paint.  We also did this between the upper black and white paint.  Between each aluminum piece we found a strip to glue to each seam to make everything crisp and clean.  We also replaced all  bottom molding with the same paint.

I think the room came out really well.  Like I said all his friends Love the room.  We also had to change out the celing fan and found this industral looking one.


I found this Lava Lamp also and had to silver leaf a small table for it.
 
We also re-did a End table I will update that tomorrow  when I get some good light.  I hope you have enjoyed our new room renovation.  I think it is amazing.

Update:
This is a photo of the end table.  We could not find anything to fit the room exactly.   We found this table at Lowe's and re-did it.
The top was wood, the bottom metal but not silver.  We spray painted the bottom bright silver and painted the top black followed up with two coats of polyurethane coat so nothing sticks to the paint.  We waited 7 days to use it.  So worth the work.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment